Additional photo's can be viewed by accessing the Tribute Wall, at the top of the obituary.
Maureen Grace Sullivan Darrow died December 14, 2021. She was in her home with family by her side at Stonebridge at Montgomery. She passed away peacefully.
She was born August 17, 1926 in New York City. Her parents were Edward and Hazel Sullivan. Maureen entered at 16 and graduated from City College of New York, one of the first classes of women. She then met R. Morton Darrow, who promptly founded the History Club in order to get to know her. They married at age 20 and would have been married 75 years last May, but we lost Mort in November 2020.
They moved to Princeton in 1951 where they lived for 65 years until they moved to Stonebridge 8 years ago. Maureen also earned a Master's degree from Trenton State College.
Maureen was known for her inner and outer beauty. She was bright, extremely generous, kind, energetic, and determined. She enjoyed being a wife, parent to Marc Darrow, Nancy Darrow Whiteside, aunt to Rob, Charlie and Richard Goldberg, and grandmother to Daniel Whiteside, as well as the loving Great Aunt to her nephews’ children: Alison, Emily, Keith and Julie Goldberg. She is also survived by Harry Johnson, her stepfather’s son. Maureen had many friends who she valued greatly, and who loved and admired her.
She taught school, served as an assistant teacher with ESL students, and brought her talent for innovation to Project Child, an early intervention program in West Windsor that became a national model.
The extent of Maureen’s volunteer work for the Princeton community was remarkable. At various points, calling herself a “Professional Volunteer for Non-Profits,” she:
- helped found Friends of the Princeton Library, served on their board, and helped get a new library built.
- helped establish the Youth Employment Services for teens
- helped found a YMCA nursery school
- served on the Boards of Council of Community services, Mercer Street Friends, and Princeton Senior Center
- served as a Cub Scout leader and Den Mother
- helped found a local Meals on Wheels and helped deliver meals
- volunteered with the Democratic Party
- volunteered at Planned Parenthood
- volunteered for Princeton Hospice
- volunteered for over 20 years at Mercer Street Friends Food Pantry in Trenton, together with her close friend, Janet Townsend
- served on the board of the Lillian Gertel Marcus Scholarship fund for over 30 years
Maureen had a strong sense of social justice and valued community service. She and Mort also enjoyed reading, art museums, music, nature, and travel, including attending 26 elder hostels, many of which were overseas. She was a gifted hostess. There are many who will greatly miss Maureen's warmth, charm and caring spirit.
In lieu of flowers please consider a donation to Mercer Street Friends or the Lillian Gertel Marcus Scholarship Fund in her name.
-Friends: 151 Mercer Street, Trenton, NJ, 08611
-Scholarship fund: 42 Harriet Drive, Princeton, NJ, 08540
-Cards can be addressed to Nancy Whiteside at 41 Shobe Ave, Brunswick ME, 04011
There will not be a funeral or memorial service.
To send flowers to the family or plant a tree in memory of Maureen (Sullivan) Darrow, please visit our floral store.